Sunday, April 03, 2005

Day 4 recap

Packing light has its downside. I have now officially put on my last pair of clean socks. Considering that I have already been away for about 6 days and I brought only 3 pairs of socks, clean is a relative term. Cleaner socks.

Anyways yesterday I sat around in a Starbucks for a couple of hours and read their local English newspaper. Lots of junk. An interesting story about how the US economy resembles the pre-1987-crash economy. Another one about some English financial analyst that is recovering after he was attacked by the Triads by accident. Yes, by accident. Apparently some guy drank too much and got kicked out violently from a pub. His Chinese girlfriend was pissed off cause her man got dissed. She called up her Triad pplz and they came down to the pub with meat cleavers to deal with the bouncers. They found a guy and beat him badly. Wrong guy. Yah. God has a plan.

Ok.. There was some other stuff in the paper that was interesting. Apparently not interesting enough though so while I remember being entertained I don't actually remember why.

After reading the paper I realized that I still had not gone on the Star Ferry. So I rushed off to Kowloon where I jumped on the Star Ferry headed to Central. I was in Central in about 4 minutes with no pictures to show for it. If anyone figures out how to take nice sharp pictures off the side of a rocking boat in the middle of the night please let me know. Is there a way of cutting the time needed for the camera to process pictures at night?

I walked around a bit in Central. Or more accurately I got lost a bit in Central. Found myself in the pub area. It was dead again. Went back to the hostel. At the hostel discussed China with my roommates. Will China ever have the standard of living of America? No, there aren't enough resources in the world. Will China be democratic any time soon? No, probably not. Is China's one child policy working? No, not outside the big cities.

Anyways.. I am leaving this hostel today (hopefully). I will get my passport back and take the ferry over to Macau and try to find lodgings there. If I find nothing reasonable I will come back to Hong Kong.

Changed the template the blog uses. Now open for comments and suggestions.

Chinese is beginning to sound like chicken squawking to me. Is this normal?

Posted more pics,

BR

5 Comments:

Anonymous your sister said...

yeah, that's right, i'm leaving another comment.

do you think it's possible for me to make a parent-friendly blog like this one? because if i'm not a super world traveller like you, i'm thinking i have nothing interesting to document.

-olga

9:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

envy. SR.

10:32 PM  
Anonymous Mysterious stranger from NY said...

Hey,
To increase the sensitivity of your camera at night, crank up the ISO. I am guessing that your camera's default ISO setting is 100 or 200. If you raise it to 400 or 800, you would need 1/2 to 1/8 as much exposure time to get the same amount of light in your image. The trade-off is that you would greatly increase the amount of noise in your image, but given that you are not looking to make coffee-table-sized prints, I doubt it would be a problem.

-E$ umm... I mean Mysterious Stranger...

6:41 AM  
Blogger Bubba said...

Thank you for the help with the camera. I will try it, oh mysterious stranger whoever you may be.

As far as the blog goes. I am thinking of creating a different less parent-friendly blog because otherwise one is forced to censor both one's language and topics.

4:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your parents are all grown up...

11:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home