Sunday, March 27, 2005

Its the 27th. Well, its 3:41 am of march 27. Since my last entry more than a day has passed. Now for the sake of my memory I will try to put down the events of the past two days on paper. Nothing extraordinary happened. In case anybody is reading, stop, this is not for you, its for me. This is just so that I can remember what I did today and not have another period of 3 months of slumber punctured by seconds of clarity. These seconds have actually quite often been while looking at old-style clocks which actually have a second clock. There is something about these mechanical clocks that make them different from digital clocks. Each second is represented by visible movement and it registers more than the simple counting up of digitals... An arrow actually moves around the dial, making a sound every wasted second and you see seconds ticking away. tick, tack. This is were I can go into super depressed mode and carry on. However I have a remedy for the depression caused upon me by mechanical clocks, and its rather simple. What I do when I see the clock's second arrow continue moving and ticking is I simply remove the batteries and make it stop. I stop time.

Anyways. Lets see if I can figure out what I did yesterday on the 25th and today on the 26th. For that matter the 24th might as well be recounted as well. The 24th was a thursday before good friday, whatever that is. Now, this has little effect on me except for the fact that my friends were not working the next day. I lounged around for most of the day. I probably read stuff out of the guidebook on china, browsed through other people's posts on the thorntree and I might have even gone down to check out the prices for mp3 players in a store. Oh yeah, I went to the library. As I was standing in line, a Chinese guy of about 40 who was checking out a book on starting a small business noticed that I had books on China. When I told him that I was going he was clearly amused. He told me that he had been in the US for 13 years and he had gone back for the first time three years ago. He said that he could not find his own house. He laughed again knowlingly and suggested that if I didn't know anybody on the ground that it would be better for me if I took a tour from Hong Kong to the mainland. He gave me his card in case of emergencies. It was a nice gesture, but I think I might have lost the card already. I sometimes wonder whether such acts of charity are genuine and whether if I actually call upon him he would actually help me out. If I was less shy and less hesitant about asking for help I would sometimes test the kindness of strangers. The truth is though that I don't think that I will be needing his help, though I might take his suggestion the tour. Otherwise it might actually be more expensive to buy my own plane tickets from Hong Kong to Xian and from there to Beijing and back to Hong Kong. With a travel agency my freedom might be limited but I would be free of the burden of that same freedom and responsibility. I might even meet some nice people along the way, though I am afraid that they will be my grandparent's age or some nice newlywed couples who just make me even more uncomfortable of being by myself. If I am by myself i might actually take charge and do a couple of things that I can later look back and see as overcoming against my lazy nature. If I go with a group I will not feel that even were I to do more of the same things. Any fool can follow a group off a cliff, jumping by yourself is an achievement. (ehhh, Confucius didnt say that. but i'll keep it).

Anyways back to the 24th. I came back home and at about 7:30pm called up Dmitry. He said he was still at work and when he came home and rested he would call me back. OK. So I waited. Then I got a phone call from my friend Eugene who at 10 informed me that Dmitry was still asleep. This couldn't be allowed to proceed. So we interfered with Dmitry's sleep by showing up at his bedroom, turning on the light and gently nodding him out of bed. This accomplished we proceeded to Hobot's house where we started playing with his last birthday present from us, which he hadn't yet opened. The present looks like a set of radio controlled toy tanks. Once Hobot started playing he was unpleasantly surprised to find out that there was a fire button on the controller and that the objective was for one tank to hit the other with an infrared beam firing from its cannon. When this happened the person controlling the hit tank experienced a minor electric shock. This is mildly unpleasant for somebody who expects to be shocked. Somebody who is surprised by the shock would probably feel a more negative reaction. So anyways, me and Hobot went on to play this little tank game while Eugene and Dmitry stood by and laughed at our pain. We set up a little arena in the livingroom out of pillows and whatever else was lying around and proceeded to play this game without lights. A hit was announced by somebody beginning to curse. After a few games this ceased to be fun and turned into torture. It was time to stop. We went down to Wawa - home of the two foot sub (only in America) - and met up with Dmitry's brother Yuri. We proceeded to go play pool at the pool hall until it closed. I don't remember what we did next. we probably went down to Yuri&Hobot's house, though I don't remember anything we did between leaving the pool hall and leaving Hobot's house... I was dropped off back at my house where I read some more about China and tried to plan my trip a bit. I probably also played a bit of Rome: Total War...

On Friday, the 25th the plumbers came to install the bathtub in the bathroom my parents are rennovating. As I had gone to sleep at about 6, I only slept for about 2 hours until they showed up at 8:30am. That afternoon was a blur. I mostly stayed in the room with the dog and took some Chinese lessons. The dog keeps barking if you lock him in a room, so I just stayed with him. Later in the day he accidentally got out of the room, and instead of the expected barking at the plumbers simply went to my parent's room and lay down on the floor. When the plumbers left at 2:30, I went to sleep until about 6. At 6 I did something, though I dont remember what. Later on I got a call from Dmitry inviting me to go to Laser Tag. I passed on the opportunity because I wish to have my legs fresh for Hong Kong. Everytime I play my leg muscles bother me for several days afterwards. They went and I did some more reading and I think I may have watched some crappy movie. I then met up with them at Bennigans. There I was subjected to an explanation of what larp is. Apparently larp is the acronym for live action role playing. This is the geekiest, most nerdiest thing that I have ever heard of. Its absolutely amazing. People dress up, meet up at a predesignated point and act out their role-playing games. Some come as vampires, some as werewolves, but apparently some volunteer to come as fairies. Now I am as judgemental as the next guy, but any straight man who can dress up as a fairy without being intoxicated within half an inch of his life needs to reassess his sexuality. After a brief discussion of tact between brothers that went awry, we went down to the other Boris' house, purportedly to watch some movie. Instead Eugene and Dmitry laughed at some stuff on the internet, while I smoked some flavored tobacco through a pipe and discussed the duplicity of the US government with Boris. Then I just took a nap. I got home at about 3 and continued to play some game or something...

That brings us to the 26th. Obviously i woke up at 3pm. The next 6 hours is a blur. At about 10 Dmitry came by and informed me of Dasha's wedding plans. He is going to design their wedding invitations. I probably will not make it up to Boston for the wedding. Eugene showed up a bit later. We drank some tea and then went down to Dmitry's house to watch a movie called 'The Yes Men' about a bunch of guys that basically spoof the WTO and present what they believe it stands for taken to the extreme. They run a website gatt.org which people mistake for the WTO's website and send them invites to conventions. They show up and make ludicrous presentations in a completely serious manner. Nobody notices. At one they showed up with a costume they claimed as being a new prototype for a 'management leisure suit' whereby it has a giant inflatable ehh appendage out front on which is a monitor where a manager could watch what his workers are doing while carrying on with his leisure activities. It gets a bit stranger than that.. Its worth a viewing even if the politics are not to your liking. Anyways, we then watched Groundhog Day. Its a cool movie. And here we are. I got dropped off at my house and came to my computer to record what has happened to me recently...

Lets see if I can remember anything else interesting. No, I think thats about it... Maybe I can continue this and keep writing about what happens to me. That way maybe I will not feel that time is disappearing from me. This isn't to be remembered, this isn't to be revered. Great men do keep diaries and we enjoy reading these because we want to be like great men. There are however millions of other diaries that just get lost and destroyed because their owners weren't great. In any case this isn't a diary. I know myself, and I do not have the ability to continue any activity for a significant amount of time. This is probably my last entry as a diary. (i just made an excuse for myself in case this really is a last entry). Now lets do a test and pretend that this was the last entry in a diary because I will die tomorrow. A nuke goes off or something. What do I wish to say? To realize? To recognize and to record? I have good friends. I have good parents. I have a good sister. I have a good mind. I am a good person. I live in a good free country. I have a good life. Its mine to do with as I wish. I just don't know what I wish to do with it. Does anyone? Anyways, today I am content. May my friends, family and I be happy tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home